Let’s embark on a thrilling adventure to one of the best beaches in Bali, Indonesia – Green Bowl Beach. Nestled among the picturesque Uluwatu beaches, this hidden gem is a paradise waiting to be discovered.
Green Bowl Beach is a magical world filled with stunning natural beauty and exciting activities that will make your trip unforgettable. Imagine feeling the soft sand under your feet, hearing the soothing sound of waves, and seeing the sparkling turquoise water as far as your eyes can see.
At Green Bowl Beach, you’ll explore fascinating caves, meet friendly monkeys, and enjoy delicious tropical fruits. So buckle up, adventurers, because a trip to Green Bowl Beach promises an experience filled with fun and discovery!
Getting to Green Bowl Beach
Getting to Green Bowl Beach is part of the fun! It’s located in the southern part of Bali, near the village of Ungasan. If you’re coming from Kuta or Seminyak, it’s about a 45-minute drive. If you’re up for an adventure, you can take a taxi or rent a scooter, which is quite popular in Bali.
Once you reach the parking area near the beach, there’s a trek to get to the sand. There is a staircase with around 300 steps leading down to the beach. But don’t worry – it’s like walking through a jungle gym! You’ll see lots of greenery and might even meet some playful monkeys on your way down.
This journey might be challenging for some travelers due to the steep staircase. Families with small children or mobility issues should be cared for. But once you reach the bottom, you’ll find that Green Bowl Beach is accessible with soft sand and flat areas perfect for building sandcastles!
What Makes Green Bowl Beach Unique?
Green Bowl Beach is like a treasure chest full of surprises. You’ll first notice the crystal-clear water that sparkles under the sun. It’s so clear that you can see tiny fish swimming around your feet. The beach is surrounded by tall cliffs covered in verdant greenery, contrasting with the blue sea.
One of the unique features of Green Bowl Beach is the hidden caves. When the tide is low, these caves become visible and are great for exploring. You can find some shade here to escape from the sun’s heat.
But that’s not all! Green Bowl Beach is also home to various wildlife and marine life. From playful monkeys swinging in trees to colorful fish in the water, nature lovers will be in for a treat.
The vibe at Green Bowl Beach is peaceful and laid-back. Here, it’s all about relaxing, enjoying nature, and having fun. Whether building sandcastles, splashing in the water or just chilling under a palm tree, Green Bowl Beach offers an unforgettable experience for everyone!
Activities at Green Bowl Beach
Green Bowl Beach is a playground for exciting activities.
- Dry Season (April-October): Consistent swell and offshore winds for cleaner waves. Early mornings offer calmer conditions.
- Experienced Surfers: Can attempt year-round, but be aware of stronger currents and higher tides during the wet season.
Tips for Beginners:
- Not recommended for complete beginners. The reef break, strong currents, and challenging conditions require advanced skills.
- Consider taking a surf lesson: Local surf schools offer specialized classes for Green Bowl, providing guidance and ensuring safety.
- Respect local surfers and surf etiquette. Observe priority rules and maintain safe distances in the lineup.
Where to Rent Equipment:
- Local shops in Melasti Beach: Offer essential snorkeling gear (mask, fins, snorkel) at affordable prices.
- Surf schools: May also rent snorkeling equipment, often combined with guided tours.
- Expect prices to range from Rp 50,000 to Rp 100,000 per set for a half-day rental.
Best Spots to Explore:
- Closer to the shore: Calm waters with diverse fish species and coral formations.
- Around the rock formations: Look for hidden coves with unique marine life and colorful coral gardens.
- Guided Snorkeling Tours: Delve into the unseen underwater treasures and get safety tips from expert guides.
Best Spots for Sunbathing:
- Central beach area: White sand beach offering ample space for relaxation.
- Under the rock formations: Natural shade for those seeking protection from the sun.
- Hidden coves: Accessible through short hikes, offering secluded spots for peaceful sunbathing.
Reading and Enjoying the View:
- Find a comfortable spot under the shade of a rock formation, or rent an umbrella.
- The beach provides stunning views of the shoreline, cliffs, and the expansive sea, ideal for tranquil reflection.
- Cliffside trail: Offers panoramic views of the coastline and Green Bowl Beach from above.
- Hidden coves: Hike along the cliffs to discover secluded beaches and stunning vistas.
- Explore neighboring beaches: Follow trails connecting Green Bowl to other beaches like Pandawa or Melasti for a more adventurous trek.
- Ensure you wear robust footwear and carry ample water for trekking activities.
- Be aware of uneven terrain and potential loose rocks on the trails.
- Preserve the natural surroundings and ensure you don’t leave any remnants behind.
By choosing activities that match your interests and experience level, you can create a truly memorable and enriching experience at Green Bowl Beach. Remember to prioritize safety, respect the environment, and embrace the unique beauty of this hidden gem in Bali.
Regrettably, Green Bowl Beach has minimal facilities. Its secluded nature and commitment to environmental conservation mean that amenities like restrooms, showers, changing rooms, food vendors, or lifeguards are only available indirectly on the beach.
Food & Drink Options Around Green Bowl Beach:
A Taste of Bali: Local Cuisine and Must-Try Delights
Green Bowl Beach may be remote, but its surroundings combine culinary gems. Indulge in the vibrant flavors of Balinese cuisine, featuring fresh seafood, aromatic spices, and unique local ingredients. Here are some must-try dishes and drinks:
Nasi Goreng is Indonesia’s iconic fried rice, customizable with meat, vegetables, and a fried egg.
Mie Goreng: Stir-fried noodles bursting with flavor, available in chicken, seafood, or vegetarian options.
Pepes Ikan: Fish steamed in banana leaves with aromatics like lemongrass and turmeric, retaining its delicate flavors.
Kopi Luwak: Regarded as the most costly coffee in the world, it’s produced from coffee beans processed by civet cats.
Es Kelapa Muda: Refreshing young coconut water, perfect for hydration after beach activities.
- Brem: Fermented Balinese rice wine offering a unique sweet and slightly alcoholic taste.
Where to Eat near Green Bowl Beach
Although Green Bowl has a limited selection of restaurants, the surrounding areas provide many choices, from simple warungs to beachfront cafes and high-end dining establishments.
Here are some suggestions for you:
- Sundays Beach Club: Experience the upscale beachfront atmosphere with breathtaking views, where you can enjoy cocktails, international cuisine, and Balinese specialties. The restaurant operates from 11:00 AM to 11:00 PM, with a moderate to high price range.
- Warung Melasti: Savor authentic Balinese dishes at reasonable prices, ideal for those wishing to try local dishes. The restaurant is open from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM and has a budget-friendly price range.
- Karma Beach Club: Experience beachfront luxury, complete with an infinity pool, live music, and cuisine inspired by the Mediterranean (Hours: 11:00 AM – 11:00 PM, Price Range: High).
- The Bukit Cafe: This is a relaxed café that boasts breathtaking views of the ocean. They serve healthy meals and freshly squeezed juices. Operating hours are from 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM, with a moderate price range.
- Naughty Nuri’s Warung: Famous for its ‘dirty duck’ dish, this place is a must-visit for all meat lovers (Hours: 11:00 AM – 11:00 PM, Price Range: Moderate).
- Sundays Beach Club Jimbaran: Melasti’s sister location offers a similar high-end ambiance and a variety of food choices. The restaurant operates from 11:00 AM to 11:00 PM, with a moderate to high price range.
- Jimbaran Seafood Cafe: Enjoy a traditional beachfront scene with a fresh seafood BBQ at a popular spot for sunset dinners. The restaurant is open from 5:00 PM to 10:00 PM, offering a moderate price range.
Opening hours and price ranges may vary depending on the season and availability. It’s recommended to call ahead for reservations, especially during peak season.
By exploring these diverse options, you can experience the culinary delights of Bali while enjoying the stunning backdrop of Green Bowl Beach and its surroundings. Remember to support local businesses and restaurants during your visit!
Accommodations Near Green Bowl Beach
While Green Bowl Beach is a hidden gem, its surrounding area boasts many lodging options to cater to all budgets and tastes. Whether you’re looking for an economical hostel or a high-end resort perched on a cliff, you’ll find a variety of excellent choices.
The Ungasan Clifftop Resort: Perched on a cliff with stunning ocean views, this resort provides a tranquil and secluded retreat. Each villa comes with a private pool for an exclusive experience.
Samabe Bali Suites & Villas: These luxurious suites and villas offer personalized service on the cliff’s edge. They are perfect for couples in search of romance and relaxation.
Karma Kandara: Offering chic villas with access to vibrant parties and events at Karma Beach Club, this place caters to an energetic crowd.
The Bukit Village: Experience eco-friendly villas that feature traditional Balinese architecture, integrating sustainable practices that allow you to immerse yourself in the local culture.
Bingin Beach Club: Enjoy beachfront bungalows and suites that provide stunning ocean views, fostering a relaxed and sociable environment.
La Joya Biu Biu: Discover rustic-chic villas equipped with private pools and lush gardens, ideal for a getaway inspired by nature.
Drifter Hostel & Bar: Located in the tranquil Melasti village and a stone’s throw away from the beach, this lively hostel provides both dormitory beds and private rooms. It also features a swimming pool, a bar, and a restaurant for guests to enjoy. The starting price for a dormitory bed is roughly $10 per night.
La Joya Biu Biu Hostel: This eco-friendly hostel is nestled in the Bukit Peninsula, surrounded by lush rice fields. It offers dormitory beds, private rooms, and amenities such as a swimming pool, yoga classes, and surf lessons. The cost for a dormitory bed starts at an estimated $15 per night.
Warong Melasti: This guesthouse, run by a local family, is conveniently situated in the Melasti village, just a short walk from the beach. It provides modest rooms with communal bathrooms and a restaurant and laundry service. The price for a single room begins at roughly $5 per night.
Other Nearby Beaches
Renowned for its pristine white sand, crystal-clear waters, and distinctive limestone cliffs, Pandawa Beach is a must-visit. You’ll find a variety of cafes and restaurants dotting the shoreline. Additionally, sun loungers and umbrellas are available for hire.
Adjacent to Green Bowl Beach, Melasti Beach is a hotspot for surfing and swimming enthusiasts. Along the beach, you’ll find several warungs (small family-owned eateries) where you can satiate your hunger and quench your thirst.
Famed for its unique caves and rock formations, Suluban Beach attracts cliff-jumping thrill-seekers and photography enthusiasts. Moreover, with numerous surf breaks, it’s a paradise for seasoned surfers.
The iconic Uluwatu Temple, majestically perched on a cliff overlooking the ocean, is the main attraction at Uluwatu Beach. Besides, it’s a favorite spot for swimming and surfing.
Nyang Nyang Beach is reachable only by a steep descent down a cliff. You’re rewarded with breathtaking views and untouched white sand despite the effort. Please note that Nyang Nyang Beach lacks facilities, so remember to bring all necessary items.
To sum it up, Green Bowl Beach is a beautiful destination for all types of travelers. With its crystal-clear waters, hidden caves, and vibrant greenery, this beach is a natural paradise that offers breathtaking views and unique experiences.
Whether you’re a thrill-seeker who loves surfing and hiking or prefers to relax by the sea and explore underwater worlds through snorkeling, Green Bowl Beach has something to offer everyone. And remember the friendly monkeys that add a fun twist to your adventure!
A trip to Green Bowl Beach promises an unforgettable travel experience filled with fun, discovery, and beautiful memories.